Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

God’s Sovereign Mercy

April 21

(Exodus 33:19 NIV) "And the Lord said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

(Romans 9:13-16 NIV) "Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." {14} What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! {15} For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." {16} It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy."

Being declared “righteous” by God doesn’t necessarily mean we have lived a righteous life. It means we are saved by grace through faith. It doesn’t always mean righteous in deeds -- it is about being made righteous in the eyes of God. This is difficult for us to understand, but in the end, this is what really matters in eternity. We can live most of our life on the wrong side of God, but end up on the right side. God can take our broken, fragmented souls, and declare them healed and whole in a moment’s time. The thief on the cross near Jesus is an example of this kind of mercy and grace. So we must accept this truth: God is sovereign and will have mercy on whomever He chooses to have mercy. God doesn’t need our approval or permission to declare someone righteous and forgiven, nor does He really care about our opinion. He is the sovereign Lord. He is God, and we are not. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment