Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2017

Name Change

April 17

(Genesis 32:22-30 NIV) "That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. {23} After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. {24} So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. {25} When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. {26} Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." {27} The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. {28} Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome." {29} Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there. {30} So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.""

(Luke 8:26-33 NIV) "They sailed to the region of the Gerasenes, which is across the lake from Galilee. {27} When Jesus stepped ashore, he was met by a demon-possessed man from the town. For a long time this man had not worn clothes or lived in a house, but had lived in the tombs. {28} When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!" {29} For Jesus had commanded the evil spirit to come out of the man. Many times it had seized him, and though he was chained hand and foot and kept under guard, he had broken his chains and had been driven by the demon into solitary places. {30} Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" "Legion," he replied, because many demons had gone into him. {31} And they begged him repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss. {32} A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. {33} When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned."

One of the reasons we avoid intimate contact with Jesus is because He knows our real name and we are afraid that He will ask us to reveal it. Then, like the demons in Luke chapter 8, we would be forced to tell him who we really are. My name is Anger. My name is Addict. My name is Drunk. My name is Lust. My name is Greed. My name is Phony. My name is Abuser. My name is Bitterness. My name is Lazy. My name is Envious. My name is Manipulator. My name is Victim. My name is Liar. My name is Hypocrite. My name is “Lots”. We cannot be blessed with God’s saving, delivering, and transforming grace until we have confessed our true name to Him. Owning our old name is the key to receiving our new name. This is part of a repentance that leads to salvation. Are you tired of who you are and how you’ve been living? Are you ready for a new name? Talk to Jesus. Tell Him your name. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment