Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Tellers or Askers

April 2

(Psalm 66:16-20 NIV) "Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. {17} I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. {18} If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; {19} but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. {20} Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!"

(James 4:2-3 NIV) "You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. {3} When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

Many of us have a nasty habit when it comes to prayer. We think we know what’s best for us, and spend a lot of our prayer time telling God how to best meet our needs. We inform Him on a regular basis what He should be doing and when He should be doing it. Then if He doesn’t meet our timetable, we give Him a piece of our mind. God answers prayer, but He answers in His time, in His way, on His terms, and often through improbable means. God once made a highway out of the bottom of the Red Sea. He once provided water from a rock and food from the sky. God does things in this way so there is no doubt about who should get the glory. We need to remember that we are the paupers -- He is the Provider. We are the beggars -- He is the Benefactor. So, break that nasty habit. Spend more time asking than telling… and accept the answers that come. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day 

No comments:

Post a Comment