Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Bigger Barns

May 16

(Luke 12:13-21 NIV) "Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." {14} Jesus replied, "Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?" {15} Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." {16} And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. {17} He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.' {18} "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. {19} And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."' {20} "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' {21} "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.""

(Luke 12:33-34 NIV) "Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. {34} For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Jesus spoke about a man who did not plan on dying -- so he built bigger barns to store all his accumulating wealth. But he did die, and all of his stored up stuff was spent by someone else. Life is often shorter than we plan it to be. It is loaned to us daily by God, and it must be returned to Him on demand. However, eternity is forever, and is only a heartbeat away. What would you change in your life if you knew you had only a month to live? How about a week or a day? What would you do? What would you stop doing? What words would you speak? What amends would you make? Who would you want to see? If you stood before God today, would you hear, “Well done… you honored me with your life.”? If not, maybe it’s time to change. Maybe it’s time to build a stronger relationship with God instead of building a bigger barn. Bigger barns are for fools. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment