Search This Blog

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Responding to an Awesome God

July 8

(Psalm 139:17-24 NIV) "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! {18} Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. {19} If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! {20} They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name. {21} Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord, and abhor those who rise up against you? {22} I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies. {23} Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. {24} See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

(Matthew 22:37-38 NIV) "Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' {38} This is the first and greatest commandment."

The proper response to an awesome God is worship. In true worship, we ask God to search us, know us, test us, correct us, and lead us. Correction is where faith gets difficult, and we are often tempted to pull away from God. We stop reading the Bible because we don’t like what it says. We stop attending church because the preacher critiques our lifestyle. We avoid brothers and sisters who would hold us accountable. We begin to cherish our sin more than we cherish our Savior. We will always struggle with genuine worship when we cling to sin, for it puts us in direct violation of the first commandment. We are putting something or someone ahead of the Lord. But when we worship God alone, and work to glorify the Lord in our daily living, the transforming power of the Holy Spirit can change who we are and what we want. And that is an awesome thing! -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment