Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Solomon: Chasing After the Wind

September 24

(Ecclesiastes 1:13 NIV)  "I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men!"

(Ecclesiastes 2:4 NIV)  "I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards."

(Ecclesiastes 2:8-11 NIV)  "I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well--the delights of the heart of man. {9} I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. {10} I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. {11} Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."

Solomon did some great things for God, but he tried to obey God partially. There’s another term for partial obedience: disobedience. We cannot partially obey God any more than we can commit a “little bit” of adultery. Many try to live with God in their kitchen and the devil in their bedroom, but eventually, one or the other has to move out. We cannot shack up with our sins and remain Christ’s faithful Bride. Solomon tried it and it killed his ministry, wrecked his family, and destroyed his kingdom. There is no such thing as an acceptable harem or a harmless false god. They all devolve into possessive psychopaths. If we allow them to sleep in our beds, they will take our hearts hostage and scheme against us. And if they live in our house long enough, eventually they will smother our First Love. Don’t waste your life chasing after the wind. Love God with all your heart. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment