August 20
(Acts 17:4-5 NIV) “Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and not a few prominent women. {5} But the Jews were jealous; so they rounded up some bad characters from the marketplace, formed a mob and started a riot in the city. They rushed to Jason's house in search of Paul and Silas in order to bring them out to the crowd.”
(1 Corinthians 9:16 NIV) “Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!”
(Luke 4:42-44 NIV) “At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place. The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them. {43} But he said, “I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.” {44} And he kept on preaching in the synagogues of Judea.”
After being beaten and jailed in Philippi, Paul and Silas moved down the road to Thessalonica. They weren’t looking for a friendlier place, or a better deal -- they were looking for more people who needed the Lord. When they preached in Thessalonica, some received the truth and joined with them. Others chose to oppose the message of God and stirred up trouble. It has always been that way, and it will always be that way. We win some, and lose some. Some will respond to the gospel -- others will reject it. We don’t get to choose who does which. God’s Spirit opens the ears and eyes of some, but others will go to their graves deaf and blind to the grace of God. Nothing you or anyone else can say will soften their hard hearts. But still, we keep saying it. We cast out God’s seed and where it falls and sprouts is God’s business. We aren’t called to be successful -- we are called to be faithful. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day
No comments:
Post a Comment