September 12
(Acts 18:12-16 NIV) “While Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him into court. {13} "This man," they charged, "is persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law." {14} Just as Paul was about to speak, Gallio said to the Jews, "If you Jews were making a complaint about some misdemeanor or serious crime, it would be reasonable for me to listen to you. {15} But since it involves questions about words and names and your own law--settle the matter yourselves. I will not be a judge of such things." {16} So he had them ejected from the court.”
(Psalms 140:1-5 NIV) “Rescue me, O Lord, from evil men; protect me from men of violence, {2} who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day. {3} They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips. {4} Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from men of violence who plan to trip my feet. {5} Proud men have hidden a snare for me; they have spread out the cords of their net and have set traps for me along my path.”
(Psalms 46:10-11 NIV) ““Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." {11} The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.””
God promised to take care of Paul, and almost immediately Paul was detained and dragged into court by those hostile to the gospel. Paul may have been thinking, “I thought you said you’d take care of me, but here I am in danger again.” But before Paul could even open his mouth, the proconsul Gallio dismissed the charges. He told Paul’s accusers that he had no time to argue over “questions about words and names”, and ejected them from his courtroom. Of course, we know that those “questions about words and names” are life changing and have eternal significance, but on this day God told Paul, “Stand back and watch me move.” Paul didn’t even have to speak. It would not be his smooth speech that delivered him, but God’s Spirit moving on the heart of Gallio. It probably works that way far more often than we know, as God whispers, “Be still and know that I am God.” -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day
No comments:
Post a Comment