Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Psychological Consequences of Sin

April 17

(Psalm 38:4,6,8,9,13,14 NIV) “My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear. {6} I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning. {8} I groan in anguish of heart. {9} All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you. {13} I am like a deaf man, who cannot hear, like a mute, who cannot open his mouth; {14} I have become like a man who does not hear, whose mouth can offer no reply.”

David was a man in deep psychological pain. His heart was in anguish to the point of audible groaning and sighing. He was shutting down emotionally. He had stopped listening and communicating. The silence of death was very near. He had entered the land of Depression, where we isolate ourselves and shut down so as to avoid the psychological pain. Guilt and shame can be overwhelming for the sinner. The devil never seems to mention this when he is luring us in by making sin attractive. Our conscience was given to us by God as a protection device. It is not good to consistently override its flashing red lights with chemicals, or smother it with counselors who tell us what we want to hear. We must deal with its source, not simply mask it. Turn to God. He has provided us an antidote. His name is Jesus. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment