Search This Blog

Friday, April 19, 2024

The Social Consequences of Sin

April 19

(Psalm 38:11,19-20 NIV) “My friends and companions avoid me because of my wounds; my neighbors stay far away. {19} Many are those who are my vigorous enemies; those who hate me without reason are numerous. {20} Those who repay my good with evil slander me when I pursue what is good.”

As our sin splatters out from where it hits the fan, there are various social consequences. Many struggle with the broken relationships that sin produces. It can cost us our friends and family; those who matter to us the most. You can only abuse people so long before they decide they would be better off living without you. Many are haunted by the loss of loved ones because of chronic foolishness. Once respect is lost, it is difficult to regain. And if we have enemies, we hand them a loaded gun when we sin. Our indiscretions become like lethal weapons in their hands. The financial costs can be staggering as well. We could probably put our grandchildren through college with the money we have flushed down the stool of sin. It always costs us more than we thought we would have to pay. Those who are wise will find ways to avoid sinning. It just costs too much. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment