Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Numbering Our Days Aright

August 1

(Psalm 90:11-12 NIV) “Who knows the power of your anger? For your wrath is as great as the fear that is due you. {12} Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

(Psalm 39:4-7 NIV) “Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. {5} You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. {6} Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. {7} "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.”

Most of us start out this life with no concept of mortality. One of the distinguishing marks of adolescence is the unrealistic sense of being immortal. We realize there is such a thing as death -- we just don’t think it can happen to us. So we often live carelessly, as if the principles of moderation and constraint were our enemies. But sooner or later, we come to our senses. We realize that this life is not forever and that we had better begin to make our remaining days count for something. What we decide to make those days count for will determine our final destiny. If we live them for our glory, our glory will die with us. But if we live them for the glory of God, we will realize eternal rewards that are beyond our imagination. This is the truth that God tries so hard to communicate to us. Are you listening? Number your days aright. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day   

No comments:

Post a Comment