Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2024

Pity the Dust

August 19

(Psalm 102:8-14 NIV) “All day long my enemies taunt me; those who rail against me use my name as a curse. {9} For I eat ashes as my food and mingle my drink with tears {10} because of your great wrath, for you have taken me up and thrown me aside. {11} My days are like the evening shadow; I wither away like grass. {12} But you, O Lord, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations. {13} You will arise and have compassion on Zion, for it is time to show favor to her; the appointed time has come. {14} For her stones are dear to your servants; her very dust moves them to pity.”

(Psalm 13:1-6 NIV) “How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? {2} How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? {3} Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; {4} my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall. {5} But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. {6} I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.”

When those who hate us get the upper hand and begin to taunt us in our weakness, our lives can take on the appearance of a disappearing evening shadow. As the light dwindles, so does the security that once was prominent in our life. Our once good name is mocked by fools. Ashes are our food. Dust is our drink. It would appear that, in His wrath, God has thrown us aside like a used paper towel. But take heart -- God is with us. The Lord walks with us on the mountain of victory and in the valley of the shadow of death. He will have compassion and will once again rise up to show His favor. His love is unfailing. Even our dust moves Him to pity. He has not left us. It’s much more likely that we have left Him. Return to the Lord. Repent of known sin. Cling to Him in your distress. Sing songs of praise to Him, for there is no one who saves like our God. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day   

No comments:

Post a Comment