Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Delayed Obedience

October 15

(Psalm 119:57-61 NIV) “You are my portion, O Lord; I have promised to obey your words. {58} I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise. {59} I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes. {60} I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands. {61} Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.”

(Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 NIV) “When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. {5} It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it.”

(James 4:17 NIV) “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.”

Every day, people make commitments to the Lord. We promise to obey God and to walk in His ways. We have good intentions, but something gets in the way. Perhaps we realize that our decision will cost us more than we thought. Obedience can often set us back before it ever rewards us… and so we delay our obedience. We put off doing God’s will until tomorrow or the next day. We fail to do what is right because we’re not ready to stop doing what is wrong. When God calls us to do something, or to stop doing something, we should move as quickly as possible to obey. Hasten to obey! In this case, haste does not make waste -- haste makes sense. In putting off obedience, we are putting off God. Seek His face with all your heart. Turn your steps toward His will and move quickly. Delayed obedience is disobedience. Delayed obedience is sin. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment