Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Prayer with a Purpose

October 10

(Psalm 119:33-39 NIV) “Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. {34} Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. {35} Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. {36} Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. {37} Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. {38} Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. {39} Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.”

Many of us pray and ask for things, but how often do we tell God why we want those things? Is it because we don’t know why, or is it because we would be embarrassed to reveal our motivation? The writer of Psalm 119 has no such problem. He lays out the reasons for his requests. With all his heart, he wants to obey God’s law. He wants to keep those laws until the end of his life for he knows he will find delight there. He knows that prayer and obedience can save his life. He knows that God can take his sin away, and so he asks God to teach him and direct him. He asks that he be given understanding. He asks that God keep His promises. He asks the Lord to turn his eyes and heart away from the bad stuff and toward that which is good. And he asks God to remove from his life all those things that would disgrace him. Not a bad prayer for today, people. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment