Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Freedom in the Word of Truth

October 12

(Psalm 119:43-48 NIV) “Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws. {44} I will always obey your law, forever and ever. {45} I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. {46} I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame, {47} for I delight in your commands because I love them. {48} I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.”

(James 1:17-25 NIV)  "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. {18} He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. {19} My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, {20} for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. {21} Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. {22} Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. {23} Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror {24} and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. {25} But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does."

When many Christians think of the law, they often think of bondage. They see the law as something to be avoided or shunned. After all, we live under grace, not the law. It is true that we are saved by grace through faith. We are not saved by obeying the law. But the writer of Psalm 119 sees the law as a blessing, not a burden. He sees the “word of truth” as the road to freedom, not bondage. He loves the commands and delights in them. They have helped to free him. In the New Testament, James tells us that we should “look intently” into the “perfect law”, and do more than just listen to it -- we must do what it says. Perhaps we should reevaluate how we look at God’s law (i.e. the word of truth). It is the only perfect law ever given. It cannot save us, but it can redirect our lives. It’s about liberty, not bondage, and it can free us if we will walk in its wisdom. God is good. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment