Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2024

Chastened Severely, But Thankful

September 27

(Psalm 118:14-21 NIV) “The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. {15} Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: "The Lord's right hand has done mighty things! {16} The Lord's right hand is lifted high; the Lord's right hand has done mighty things!" {17} I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done. {18} The Lord has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death. {19} Open for me the gates of righteousness; I will enter and give thanks to the Lord. {20} This is the gate of the Lord through which the righteous may enter. {21} I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.”

(Jeremiah 31:16-20 NIV)  "This is what the Lord says: "Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears, for your work will be rewarded," declares the Lord. "They will return from the land of the enemy. {17} So there is hope for your future," declares the Lord. "Your children will return to their own land. {18} "I have surely heard Ephraim's moaning: 'You disciplined me like an unruly calf, and I have been disciplined. Restore me, and I will return, because you are the Lord my God. {19} After I strayed, I repented; after I came to understand, I beat my breast. I was ashamed and humiliated because I bore the disgrace of my youth.' {20} Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him," declares the Lord."

The Psalm writer says that God has chastened him severely, but that he is a thankful man. Why would anyone be thankful for being chastened? The answer is that God’s chastening is often a life saving measure. Anything which leads us to repentance and salvation should be considered a blessing from God. God’s chastening can bring us joy and victory if we will receive it, and see it as a gateway to righteousness. Let’s face it; at times we all resemble the “unruly calf” that Jeremiah writes about. The foolishness of our youth often follows us into adulthood, and we need someone to grab us by the back of the neck and set us straight. It may not feel good, but it is a manifestation of God’s love for us. The writer of Hebrews says that no chastening feels good while we are receiving it, but that God disciplines the people that He loves. Let’s thank the Lord for loving us enough to chasten us. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment