Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Worthless Help

September 7

(Psalm 108:7-13 NIV) “God has spoken from his sanctuary: "In triumph I will parcel out Shechem and measure off the Valley of Succoth. {8} Gilead is mine, Manasseh is mine; Ephraim is my helmet, Judah my scepter. {9} Moab is my washbasin, upon Edom I toss my sandal; over Philistia I shout in triumph." {10} Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom? {11} Is it not you, O God, you who have rejected us and no longer go out with our armies? {12} Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of man is worthless. {13} With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.”

(Matthew 19:23-26 NIV)  "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. {24} Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." {25} When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?" {26} Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.""

(Hebrews 13:5-6 NIV)  "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." {6} So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?""

It is a constant struggle for man to remember who is sovereign and who is not. Too often, we try to reverse roles with the Lord. It can indeed be difficult to trust God when so many people are saying, “Trust me.” Many today put their trust in the government, or their broker, or their doctor. Far fewer really put their trust in God. But the Psalm writer says that man’s help is worthless. Some things are just impossible for man -- but not with God. Trusting in man rather than God, is one of the marks of carnal agnosticism. Conversely, trusting in God instead of man, becomes routine for those who are maturing in faith. More and more, we turn to God first, instead of making Him our last call. More and more, we ask the Lord to go out ahead of us, instead of going it alone and then retreating back to Him after we fail. Victory comes to those who genuinely trust in God. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day         

No comments:

Post a Comment