Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Turncoats

September 8

(Psalm 109:1-5 NIV) "O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent, {2} for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues. {3} With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause. {4} In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer. {5} They repay me evil for good, and hatred for my friendship.”

(Matthew 10:32-39 NIV) ""Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. {33} But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. {34} "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. {35} For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- {36} a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' {37} "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; {38} and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. {39} Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

Sometimes in life, our friends morph into enemies. Those we have loved become filled with hate for us. People we have trusted become like hungry sharks circling us in the water. Those we laughed with begin to speak against us. They begin to lie to us and about us. Jesus warned His disciples that often these new enemies will be our own family members. You see, there are only two sides with God: for or against -- and when we choose to live totally for God, there will be those who come against us. Often those opposing forces will include parents, siblings, and even husbands and wives. Do not let opposition force you into silence. Be respectful, but be persistent in sharing the truth. Carry His cross, even when others get cross with you. Do not allow turncoats to turn you away from your calling to be His witness. Be loving, but love God more than anyone else. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment