Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2024

Confident or Cocky

March 8

(Psalm 30:6-12 NIV) "When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." {7} O Lord, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. {8} To you, O Lord, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy: {9} "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it proclaim your faithfulness? {10} Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help."

(Isaiah 31:1 NIV) “Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel, or seek help from the Lord.”

(Romans 12:3 NIV) "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

David went from rags-to-riches and became the most powerful man in the world. On the surface, he was the picture of a self-made man; the ultimate success story. When David felt secure, he sometimes became a bit cocky. But he discovered that cockiness was a formula for failure. God would have us be confident in Him, but He warns against cockiness. The wealthy are warned not to trust in riches. Armies are warned not to trust in their horses and chariots. People are warned not to trust in their own goodness for salvation. In spite of the warnings, many still put their faith in themselves, instead of God. Christian, the antidote is to recall who you were before Christ, recognize who you are now, remember who gets the credit for the change, and realize what you should be doing. David knew his help came from the Lord. He gave glory to God for His mercy, love, and guidance.  -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment