Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2024

God Our Protector

March 29

(Psalm 35:1-10 NIV) ““Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me. {2} Take up shield and buckler; arise and come to my aid. {3} Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me. Say to my soul, "I am your salvation." {4} May those who seek my life be disgraced and put to shame; may those who plot my ruin be turned back in dismay. {5} May they be like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the Lord driving them away; {6} may their path be dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them. {7} Since they hid their net for me without cause and without cause dug a pit for me, {8} may ruin overtake them by surprise-- may the net they hid entangle them, may they fall into the pit, to their ruin. {9} Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in his salvation. {10} My whole being will exclaim, “Who is like you, O Lord? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them.””

 At first reading, Psalm 35 does not appear to be a Christ-like prayer. It certainly does not come across as “loving our enemies”. But if you study it further, you see that David is asking God to deal with his enemies. He asks God to defeat them. He asks the Lord to defend him; to contend for him against those who would kill him. In short, David asks God to be a righteous judge and protector. He begs God to thwart the plans of evil men and protect the innocent and the powerless. If you read the Psalm in this light, it takes on a whole new meaning and may even sound like the prayers of many New Testament saints. A day is coming when Christ will take the enemies of God to the woodshed and many will never return. We are called to pray for enemies, but not necessarily for their victory. Prayers that God will deal with our mortal enemies and the enemies of Christ’s Bride are also appropriate. -- Friar Tuck’s Word of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment